August 18, 2016

WHY I LOVE THE OLYMPICS, SO MUCH

While everyone tend be crazy over World Cup and other sporting events, I watch Olympics. As a matter of fact, I love the Olympics. I know which athletes belongs to which country according to their uniforms color. Because of that, I remember some of the countries flag. I grew up with watching it since I was 12. Other than supporting my own country, I also support others. As of today is Day 13 of Rio 2016 Olympics, I wanted to dedicate this post to the games.


Olympics ring


Why I love the Olympics, so much? Olympics is where I can watch the best of the best elite athletes from all around the globe competing, once in a four years. Beijing 2008 was my first Olympic games - where our hero, Dato' Lee Chong Wei won his first Olympics medal. After the games, he earned the Dato' title. Michael Phelps were the centre of the attraction, sweeping eight medals - all gold. Nastia Liukin won gold in all-around individual competition of Artistics Gymnastic. And of course, I only knew Usain Bolt that time around. I am proud to say I have watched the best of the best competing.

Other than watching champions, I also witness the journey of their career. Now I feel old enough because all of the names I have mentioned above have retired, are retiring and also will be retiring. Nastia Liukin retired after London 2012, now she is one of the NBC commentator for the games. Someone that I really look up to, Michael Phelps retired after the final race of his career in Rio 2016. Now enjoying his free time with his family. Usain Bolt, the fastest man on Earth will compete in his final race too, tomorrow at the Olympics stadium.


Rio 2016 Summer Olympics Participating Countries


Just look at the map. There are 205 countries participating. 11,178 confirmed athletes with 306 events. There are also a refugee team, competing under Olympics flag and anthem. Olympic games is probably the only thing that can help me acknowledging countries that I have never heard of before. Have you heard a country name Tonga? Palau? I second that. Maybe the mat sallehs too have never heard of our country name. Also, small countries have the same chances of winning just like the ruling countries. Just when everyone thought no one can't beat Michael Phelps, Joseph Schooling from Singapore changed our mind. Champions came from the different parts of the world.

Oh and did you know Israel is also competing in the game? North Korea, too?

Another reasons to love Olympics is I get to see some international friendships between athletes. I tear up most of the time when the Olympians from different continents hugging and congratulating each other despite they are winning or losing. Like they are so proud of each other. Supporters and audiences back home may be fighting over their favorites, but there they are, our great Olympians giving us smiles and tears of joy like a bundle of happiness.

I love Olympics because I live for the spirit. North Korea and South Korea gymnasts were seen taking selfies together. Great Britain athletes hugged USA after winning Gold, Silver and Bronze in the same event. Most importantly is when Michael Phelps – 23 Gold medalist congratulated Joseph Schooling, a historical swimmer from Singapore after beating Phelps in the 100m butterfly race. Phelps was expected to win fourth consecutive Gold in the race won Silver after Schooling beat him. Instead of being disappointed, Phelps was all smiling and proud of Schooling. Saying that he will support him in the future.
 
Lastly, I get to see golden moments like this. God bless.


Michael Phelps after winning 200m butterfly

Arthur and Diego after winning bronze and silver
 
USA after winning gold in 4x100m medley relay

Tom Daley and Daniel Goodfellow after winning bronze in 10m platform

Aly Raisman after winning silver in all-around individual artistic gymnastics

Brianna Rollins, Nia Ali, Kristi Castlin sweeping all medals in 100m hurdles

Usain Bolt and Andre De Grasse after qualifying to 200m final

Michael Phelps, Chad Le Clos, Laszlo Czech after tied in 100m butterfly











Jason Kenny after winning gold in keirin. His fiance, Laura Trott also won gold in omnium

pictures/gifs: credits to respective owners.

No comments: